Monitor, archive, go back in time.
- Monitor a whole website, part of a website or a single page
- Set up configurations for multiple sites / pages
- Schedule hourly, daily, weekly, monthly scan
- Be alerted to any changes, visible text, source code or changes to the page's resources
- Be able to demonstrate what a page looked like on a particular date
- Be aware of every change to a competitor's page / site
- Runs locally, not a cloud service. Own your own data.
- An archive is kept, including all changes to pages, images, style sheets and js
- View a 'living' version of a historical page, not a screenshot
- Switch between versions of the page to compare them
- Export a historical page as image or collection of all of its files
Category:Developer Tools / Web Scrapers
Version 2.x offers a free 30-day trial. At the end of this period or before, a licence can be purchased which is a one-off lifetime licence for Website Watchman. As with our other titles, upgrades (even major version numbers) are usually free but we reserve the right to charge an upgrade fee for very major new versions.
Version 1.x was free to use with no restrictions and no expiry and users with a copy can still use it under those terms.
Current version requires Mac OS 10.8 or higher
Support, questions, requests
What should I do with the downloaded file?
Open the .dmg file and find the application inside. If you want to keep using Website Watchman, drag and drop it into your Applications folder. To keep it in your dock, right-click or click-and-hold on its dock icon and choose 'Keep in dock'.
Once you've set up scheduled scan(s) then there's no need to have the app running, it'll start when needed.
Developer: S P Dixon
Version 2.2.3 released April 2019
- Bug fix - that could cause a crash during the scan under certain circumstances
Version 2.2.2 released April 2019
- Important bug fix - bug could have prevented pages from displaying properly in the archive browser.
Version 2.2.1 released April 2019
- Adds option to log into the site and scan the site using the authentication. This isn't guaranteed to work for every site that requires authentication because different sites authenticate the user in different ways, but is a method that is likely to work for many sites. If it does work, it may last for a limited time, eg one session.
Version 2.1.1 released April 2019
- Makes 'view source' in the archive browser not editable, and adds a find bar
- Enables 'hardened runtime' and has been notarized by Apple
Version 2.1.0 released March 2019
- Name altered slightly from Watchman to Website Watchman because of a conflict with an existing software package.
- If main window is showing when a scheduled scan kicks in, window switches to sites and settings view (which contains the scan progress bar) so that it's obvious why the window has become active.
- Adds 'No alert' to the alert option, so that Website Watchman can archive a site regularly without alerting changes. (Non-UI mode needs to be on too if you want to be completely uninterrupted).
Version 2.0.2 released March 2019
- Adds custom About box which shows licence key / holder, version / build and active link to Website Watchman homepage
- Correctly removes purchase menu item from Help menu when product is licensed
Version 2.0.1 released March 2019
- A few minor fixes.
- dmg contains free app WebArchive Viewer which will open and allow browsing / exporting from the webarchive files that Website Watchman creates.
- Licensing switched on - trial period 30 days.
Version 2.0.0 released March 2019
- Adds 'Non-UI mode' which has a status bar menu, but no dock icon or menu bar. If Website Watchman is already running (tip: add it to your startup items) then when a scheduled scan starts, it will do so without interrupting the user. Unless it has anything to report at the end of the scan and the alert option is switched on.
- Makes some improvements to the archive browser. It's now possible to click internal links within the browser window, and as long as the target page exists in the same archive for the same time and date, then the link will work.
- Also adds url and date info fields above the archive browser window.
Version 1.1.5 released Feb 2019
- Adds informative message if you click to make a comparison for a resource change, and that resource has no previous version (ie it is a new resource at that point rather than one that's changed.)
- Adds informative text to the settings tab indicating whether any filters are in place
Version 1.1.4 released Jan 2019
- Improvements to highlighting functionality
- Adds option to display source code in the archive browser
- Other small fixes
Version 1.1.3 released Jan 2019
- Adds some options for 'filtering' pages before comparing. Useful it all pages change daily because of something automatic like a feed of recent blog posts. In that case you don't want to archive a new copy of every page and be warned that every page has changed.
- you can exclude a div or span with a certain class or id, or ignore everything except the contents of a certain class or id. If things change within the source code of your page (such as an ever-changing form id or email address obscurer) then you can now totally ignore the source and only check visible text.
- you can use regex to filter out a session hash / id or similar - a number or id in the source which changes every time the page is served
- you can exclude the source entirely and only check the visible text for changes (this is in addition to the option to only be *alerted* to visible text changes)
Version 1.0.2 released Jan 2019
- Adds some options for alerting when visible text changes. You can choose whether visible text includes html5 header, footer, nav and image alt text.
Version 1.0.1 released Jan 2019
- Corrections to Help menu, adds link to support form, removes 'purchase' option as app is currently free.
Version 1.0.0 released Jan 2019
- Out of beta, free for a limited time
Version 0.4.0 released Jan 2019
- Some user interface work
Version 0.3.0 released Dec 2018
- Adds server response check, optionally alerting when response code changes (in order for an alert to be given for change of status, the page must have been first discovered or a change detected on the page using a version later than 0.3)
- Adds a bunch of options for when alert is to be shown
- Other small changes
Version 0.2.0 released Dec 2018
- adds user-agent string picker to Preferences, with a variety of standard UA strings, or the option to paste anything else.
- some changes to the context help (the 'i' buttons)
- inherits some minor improvements to the Integrity crawling engine
Version 0.1 released Dec 2018
- First public release