SiteViz Website visualiser for Mac
View .dot sitemap files
The human eye is great at spotting patterns. And anomalies in patterns. Especially when information is provided visually. Try to find problems like these in tabular data:
Why does one page here have so many more links from it than adjacent one?
Why are so many pages here only linked from a single page?
There may be reasonable explanations for these things but with this website, these things weren't expected and indicated a page which had somehow missed an update to its navigation menu.
SiteViz opens a .dot file. (A .dot file contains pieces of information and the connections between them.) Integrity Plus, Integrity Pro and Scrutiny can generate their sitemap as a .dot file and we've made SiteViz, a free and easy-to use tool to display these.
This functionality is now built into Scrutiny for visualising sitemaps, but is provided here as a free standalone app that can open a sitemap in the form of a .dot file.
It displays the information in a graphical way. Choose from a number of themes with settings. Print or export the image.
Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) or higher, 64-bit Intel or Apple Silicon
If you find a problem, or have additional requirements or questions, please contact us.
- Contact support at firstname.lastname@example.org
Version 3.0.3 - released December 2021
- New build for Intel and Apple Silicon
- Minimum supported system 10.9. 10.8 users should use 3.0.2
Version 3.0.2 - released March 2020
- Fixes bug causing nodes to sometimes appear at the wrong level (would be corrected by refreshing the chart using one of the controls in the toolbar)
- File > Print now gives the same result as the Print toolbar button
- Even if the url displayed in a bubble is truncated, hovering will show you the complete url
- New Prefs window was incorrectly visible at launch
Version 3.0.1 - released March 2020
- increases the maximum number of 'levels' that can be displayed from 6 to 9
- fixes problem where initial zoom wasn't being set according to the slider, and/or was resetting the zoom to 1 when a file was opened.
Version 3.0.0 - released March 2020
- Improvement to default 'bubble tree' theme, making a much more professional-looking sitemap chart. Nodes used to be arranged with each level horizontal which (as they are wider than tall) made for crazily wide charts. Now levels are in columns which makes more sense. connections are curved which makes them easier to follow.
- Improvements to colouring - node colouring (which for most themes means the depth of the blue) can be based on number of links in (as before), or 'link juice' which is a calculation of the flow of imaginary liquid through the links. Connections can be coloured according to the colour attributes in the dot file, or link juice or none.
- Preferences window added. It contains the colouring options outlined above.
Version 2.0.1 - released August 2018
- Prepares the app for 10.14's dark mode
Version 2.0 - released May 2018
- New theme; 'list', similar to an old directory structure, although it doesn't list the urls by directory, but by 'levels' or clicks from home. As with the other themes, this is defined by the hyperlinks connecting the pages on the website, or more accurately as they are listed in the .dot file
- Adds numbers to some themes, showing the links in and links out of each node. Again, this will be based on the information in the .dot file.
- Original 'bubble tree' theme is coloured differently, with a deeper colour representing more 'links in' to the node.
- Daisy and wedge themes also coloured with the depth of colour as well as the size of the node representing links in.
- Improves zooming, now it truly scales the canvas rather than re-drawing the chart at a different scale
- Scrolls to appropriate point (centre, top, wherever the home page is in that theme) after loading data or switching theme
- Hooks up the 'Help' menu item to the product's web page where support details can be found
Version 1.1 - (still beta) released July 2015
- Adds 3d theme, can be animated using keys / mouse (toolbar button reveals controls info)
Version 1.0.1 - (still beta) released May 2015
- fixes bug preventing display of all information if closing curly brace appears unencoded within any of the urls
- increases the amount that you can zoom 'out' - so that graphs with many levels can be 'zoomed out' to fit within the window
- When app opens, previous map is no longer opened. If this was a very large file then it's unhelpful to wait for it to load before being able to start
Version 1.0 - first beta release May 2015