See your web page through a robot's eyes.
This app is now retired for various reasons.
There is little love for accessibility standards now, especially since Google is able to render js to some extent (though it's a mistake to think that all search engines do). The functionality lives on within Scrutiny.
- See your web page as a search engine robot sees it:
- Tests all of the page's links and images
- See headings listed separately (as outline view) and in context
- See meta tags listed
- Helps you to perform a number of checks for the WCAG Accessibility Guidelines:
- See your images listed with alternative text (Guideline 1.1.1)
- Check your content's information and structure 'linearised' (Guideline 1.3)
- See your links listed by link text and url (Guideline 2.4.4 & 2.4.9)
- See headings listed separately and in context (Guideline 2.4.10)
- Operates as a text-only browser or 'reader':
- See the page content clearly without the distraction of other page elements
- pages load quickly because the page doesn't have to load images and other resources and doesn't have to render a layout
- Set your own choice of text font / size and heading font / size
- Navigate using the page's 'separated out' links (optionally appear in context)
Get a better understanding of how search engines as well as those using assistive technology see your site.
Category:Developer Tools / Utilities
Mac OS 10.6 or higher.
V1.3 January 2015 (no longer beta)
- improves parsing - words separated by html tags with no whitespace are now always separated
- Adds automatic update check
- Adds some preset themes, View > Themes and in Preferences (fonts & colours have always been customisable in Preferences)
V1.2 November 2014 (still beta)Better web browsing:
- Adds Preference for 'show links' - includes 'clickable' links inline so Robotize is more usable as a text-only browser
- Adds Preference for 'show image alt text'
- If text (not a url) is entered in the address bar, a Google search is done using that text
V1.1 November 2014 (still beta)
- Adds Preferences for background colour, text colour and headings colour
- Adds indentation of heading levels to headings list, so looks more like an outline view
- Scales size of headings in main view by level - H1 is the size set for headings in preferences, then progressively smaller down to h7
First beta release