ScreenSleeves screensaver for Mac
Album cover artwork screensaver for Mac OSX
"... shocked it isn't just built into iTunes itself ... one of my top 10 utilities of all time. YEAH!"- BettyWoo / MacUpdate
"What a fantastic find! Happy happy me!"- NH
"Superb addition to playing music on your Mac ... Well worth the investment."- Winco / Macupdate
I love album artwork. Back in the day album covers were 12" square and some really were works of art.
The CD cover was smaller, and for downloads the cover is no longer physical. But bands still put much effort into good album artwork and how better to display it while you're not working than with a screensaver?
- Supports iTunes, Spotify, Snowtape, Ecoute, Rdio and now Radium. Detects which is playing and displays cover art and details for the currently-playing track
- Choice of themes - Classic, Text-only, Mosaic Full-Screen with Ken Burns effect and now 'Lyrics mosaic'
- Can fetch artwork from the web if needed
- Supports Apple remote for skip back/forward, volume up/down and play/pause
- The remote controls Spotify or iTunes - whichever is playing.
- Control the track and volume without leaving the screensaver
- Can display rating / popularity and allows rating to be changed
- Adjustable 3D effect and progress bar
- As a screensaver it just kicks in if you leave your computer, or mouse to your hot corner
- Show a clock as well if you like
- Easy on the eye, just the cover for the currently playing track with a few details and very soft fading actions
- Defaults to your choice of alternative screensaver if no music player is running
- Perfect for parties or just chilling
Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher, Intel 32 or 64. 10.10 (Yosemite) supported.
- A run-down of all of ScreeSleeves' options is here
- If you have a problem with Screensleeves, please contact Shiela at: email@example.com
Version 4.0.2 - released July 2015
- Free and app no longer asks for donation (though donations are still very welcome via peacockmedia.software/donate)
Version 4.0.1 - released July 2015
- Fixes problem of iTunes starting up without user intervention - this happened when 'show random artwork when music stops' option is used (the feature accesses the iTunes library). It will work as before if iTunes is running. If Spotify is being used but not iTunes then artwork for recently-played music is shown. If another player is being used and iTunes isn't running then this feature may appear not to work.
Version 4.0 - released June 2015
- 'Please support' message becomes tour / ticket information, shown if the artist is on tour. User can press the T key for ticket / tour information
- The tour / ticket feature is switchable, off by default for registered users, who can switch it on, and on by default for free users who need to register to be able to switch it off
- Default theme is now Apple TV
Version 3.9.7 - released May 2015
- Fixes bug related to Gracenote queries, affecting album title search (for internet radio) and album artwork search, only affecting recent new users (format of Gracenote ID assigned to the user has changed)
Version 3.9.4 - 3.9.6 - released May 2015
- Various improvements around fetching artwork from the web and working around Spotify's broken artwork provision
Version 3.9.3 - released April 2015
- Fixes a problem in Lyric theme when artist is a single word. Exception seen in the Console, but I don't think this has caused crashes
Version 3.9.2 - released April 2015
- further fix - 3.9 & 3.9.1 could hang when OK'ing Options sheet after selecting lyric theme with maximum values for font size and artwork size
Version 3.9.1 - released April 2015
- Fixes possible hang when using lyrics theme
- Recognises a change of track more quickly when listening to internet radio via iTunes or one of the other supported apps
- small improvements to lyrics theme
Version 3.9 - released March 2015
- Adds new theme 'Lyrics Mosaic'
- Adds slider to control panel for adjusting the fade/reposition time. Default is a little longer than the cycle used to be. Max is around a minute
- Removes asterisks from track name provided by Snowtape
Version 3.8 - released March 2015
- Adds support for Radium
- Note that in the current version of Spotify, 1.0.1.xx, it has its scripting support broken or removed, the Spotify helpdesk has a report of this problem and I'm hoping it is unintentional and temporary.
Version 3.7 - released January 2015
- Adds new theme, 'Apple TV' which is similar to classic but with no 3D effect, no reflection, always centred and with a new-style progress bar
- Splits 'Keep centred and static' switch into two switches - 'keep centred' and 'keep static'. (As with the other controls, they may be individually enabled / disabled or even linked as appropriate for the theme)
- Enables 'show rating' feature for full-screen mode
- Fixes small bug which caused the time remaining to randomly show or not
Version 3.6.2 - released December 2014
- Alters donation url to reflect the move to Paddle
Version 3.6.1 - released November 2014
- Adds support for Rdio (desktop app)
- Fixes small bug causing progress bar time remaining / total time to be missing under some circumstances
Version 3.6 - released October 2014
- Each theme stores its own settings, so for example you can set the artwork size to large for Classic theme and smaller for Full-screen theme
- When a theme is selected, irrelevant options are greyed out. For example, wIth the Text theme it makes no sense to show the Artwork size slider
- Note that when Random theme is selected, all of the theme-specific settings are greyed out because each theme has its own settings
Full version history for Screensleeves (The full history is also in the release notes included in the app's dmg file)